Dear Diary: Grade 9 Q1 World History Project (2020)
For Q1, you will complete a historical diary that requires you to research a time period that we will learn about. You will display your knowledge by creating a diary based upon a fictional character that you create.
Topics to choose from include the material found in the textbook (you can go ahead of what we have already covered in class):
17.1—The Italian Renaissance
20.1—Spain Builds an Empire
20.2—European Nations Settle in North America
20.3—The Atlantic Slave Trade
20.4—The Columbian Exchange and Global Trade
- Five (5) diary entries that are a minimum seven sentences each
- Diary entries do not need to be consecutive days (July 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) but can be spread out over days or weeks (July 1, August 3, August 15, etc.)
- The date and year must be included in each diary entry
- You must include your character’s:
- Physical Description
- Family life
- Profession (job)
- A picture or drawing of your character
- You need to include what your character’s daily life is like (what food do they eat, what kind of house do they live in, what is a normal day like for them)
- You also need to include an important historical figure or event that we have covered this year
- For example: “Today I went to church and heard Martin Luther speaking…” or “Guess who came to my shop today? Leonardo da Vinci! I couldn’t believe it and he bought…” or “What a day! After months of sailing, our ship has arrived in the New World…” etc.
- You will be scored on historical accuracy, creativity, grammar, organization and your completion of the required elements
Part 1. October 8
Submit a one paragraph description of your character and historical time – period.
Part 2. October 22
Final diary due, five diary entries of seven sentences each, illustration