Instructions for completing LSHTM DL examinations (October 2020)
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU COMPLETE YOUR ANSWERS:
How to download your exam question papers and template answer documents
• Your exam question papers and template answer documents can be downloaded from the
Exams Management System (EMS): https://www.dlems.lshtm.ac.uk
• Click on the blue/green download icon in the “download” column to download your exam
question paper, answer document templates and a copy of these instructions. The documents
will download in a zip file. Once the download is complete, you must unzip the file before you
start to complete the answer documents: right click on the zip file, choose where you want the
documents placed on your computer and click to “Extract All”.
• You are provided with separate answer documents for each question.
• You should complete one answer document for each of the questions.
• You must read the front cover of your exam question paper to check the number of questions
you must answer. [Note that if you are taking IDM module papers, most of these require you to
answer 3 questions out of 4 on the paper – you will be supplied with 4 answer documents for
most of the IDM papers but must upload only 3 answer documents (ensuring that you use the
correct document for the correct question answered).]
• The answer documents have been anonymised and pre-formatted. You should save each answer
document to your computer using the file name already assigned to it. Please do not change the
formatting or the file name.
• The answer documents have already been pre-filled with your candidate number, the module
code and the question number. Do not change these details – if you think they are wrong,
contact your LSHTM DL Office programme support staff urgently – but carry on completing your
• Once you have downloaded the exam question paper, you will notice that the system updates
with the deadline date and time by which you must upload your answers to each question. If
you need to download the question paper again, you may do so – but the deadline date/time
will remain as 48 hours after the initial download of the question paper.
Before completing your exam answers
• Check that the correct exam question paper has downloaded.
• The front cover of the exam question paper will indicate how many questions must be
• All questions indicate a recommended word (or page) limit.
• Read each question carefully before you start your answer.
• Type your answers to each question in the correct answer document provided.
• Read the guidance document “Guidelines for the DL October examinations 2020” located on the
Moodle DL General Zone.
• Note: you must not discuss the paper or possible answers to the questions with anyone.
Advice on calculations, use of formulae and inserting diagrams
• If any of the questions on the paper require the use of a calculator, this will be indicated on the
front page of the exam paper. The calculator may be pre-programmed before the examination.
If a calculator is used, the make and type of machine must be stated on the front cover of the
relevant answer book.
• If any of the questions on the paper require you to use statistical tables or formulae, these
documents will be included in the zip file when you download the exam paper. These are
provided as Word documents and should be viewed in the “Read” mode. Instructions on how to
insert equations or formulae into your answer document will be included within the formulae
sheets or within the exam paper. Further guidance is given on the DL General Zone with a short
• If any of the questions on the paper require you to draw a diagram, this can either be drawn
directly within your answer document, or alternatively you can hand-draw this, scan or take a
photo of your drawing, and then either insert the scan/photo into your answer document, or
save it as a separate file. Further instructions will be given on the relevant exam paper.
Before submitting your answers
• If a question contains sub-questions, make sure you have clearly indicated in the answer
document to which sub-question your answer refers.
• Check that you have answered all the required questions on the paper.
How to submit your answers
• Upload your answer documents to https://www.dlems.lshtm.ac.uk clicking on the relevant
blue icon in the “upload answer” column.
• Each answer document must be uploaded separately. You can upload one answer document,
and then later in the 48-hour window upload the next one – but you must remember to upload
all answer documents for that exam paper by the deadline given in the EMS (i.e. 48 hours after
you first downloaded the exam paper).
• You can only upload each answer once to the system – so you must ensure you upload the
correct file that you want to be sent for marking.
• If a question requires you to draw a diagram and you have saved your image as a separate file,
you must include both the separate image file and the answer document together in one zip file
with the correct filename for uploading to the EMS.
• You should upload each final answer document as a Word (.docx) file, but if you do not have
access to Word or are including an image, the EMS will accept the following file formats: PDF,
JPG, RTF, Powerpoint or Zip files.
• If you experience technical difficulties whilst you are uploading your answer documents before
the deadline, please take a screenshot of the error message you receive, and email both the
screenshot and your answer documents to the LSHTM DL Office programme support staff. You
must do this immediately – and this must be within the 48-hour window. Depending on the
time in the UK, the DL Office staff will respond to your query as soon as possible within their
working day following your email.
• Note: you must not share information about the content of the examination questions with
any students until after completion of the exam period (i.e. after 25 October).
What happens if I don’t upload my answers within 48 hours of downloading the question
• Late submissions (i.e. after 48 hours) will not be accepted for marking.
• If you download the October 2020 exam question paper but do NOT upload your answer
documents within 48 hours of downloading the exam paper, this will be counted as an
attempt and you will be assigned a 0 (zero) grade for non-submission.
• If you download the October 2020 exam question paper from the EMS and then an unforeseen
circumstance arises which prevents you from uploading your answers within the 48-hour period
or you feel has seriously affected your performance, you should apply for extenuating
circumstances (see section 7.4 of the Academic Manual). Your completed extenuating
circumstances request form must be submitted no later than Friday 13 November 2020 (23.59
hours, UK time). Please note that for this examination session the requirement to include
medical supporting evidence has been waived.
• If you experience technical difficulties whilst you are uploading your answer documents and the
deadline expires before this is possible, please take a screenshot of the error message you
receive. Both the screenshot and your exam answer documents should be submitted with your
Extenuating Circumstances request form.
DL Programme Teams