Detailed assignment guide
Semester 2, 2020
Assignment 2 (Group Assignment): Strategic Capability Analysis,
Strategy Formation and Implementation
Weighting This assignment accounts for 40% of the assessment in this Course.
Due Date Monday, 19th October
Due Time By 7.00pm
Place via RMIT Canvas electronic submission
Length 5,000 words (+/- 10%), 1.5 line spaced, 12 point Times New Roman.
Note: The word count does not include references or appendices
You will work in a group of four (4) with those in the same tutorial class to conduct strategic capability analysis of the organisation, propose one strategic initiative and develop its implementation plan built on the strategic analysis (external environment analysis) of the organisation from your first assignment (Assignment
You are responsible to form a group of 4 (FOUR) members from the same tutorial class for this assignment.
Once you have formed your group of four, you must register your group membership on the course canvas.
Otherwise, you will not be able to view your mark and the feedback and the Course Canvas will automatically record your mark as ZERO. Instructions on how to do so will be published on the course canvas. You must form your group by Week 7. It is your responsibility to inform your local lecturer if you are unable to form your group.
The assessment will be explained and discussed in Module 4. Write a 5000 word (+/- 10%) report, including 200 words of Executive Summary, but excluding references and appendix. You are required to continuously focus on the hardware and building supplies retailing business, Bunnings (the organisation here after) of Wesfarmers and conduct strategic capability analysis, propose one strategic initiative for the organization encompassing a three-year time horizon. Moreover, you need to integrate the findings and feedback from your first assignment and then to build upon them to create an actionable strategy implementation plan and its evaluation. The plan has to be achievable and realistic. You have to clearly demonstrate what the strategic initiative is, why your plan can help the organization achieve and maintain a sustainable competitive advantage, and how this plan can be implemented and evaluated. Specifically, you are required to perform the
following tasks in this report:
1. Identify those resources and competences of the organization that are likely to provide sustainable competitive advantage. Justify why these resources and competences can be regarded as strategic capabilities using the four criteria (VRIO) covered in the textbook.
2. Identify and discuss the current generic type of business strategy the organisation implements by examining its strategy statement and/or its value chain activities.
3. Propose ONE new strategic initiative for the organisation to implement. This initiative can be a major functional initiative, such as marketing, use of technology, product (service) innovation/development, and M&A. Describe its contents in details and justify why it is strategic.
4. Evaluate the suitability of your strategic initiative through referring to the findings of your assignment
1, particularly the external environment of the organisation, and its strategic capabilities and current business strategy as identified in this assignment.
5. Develop a strategy implementation plan that primarily focuses on the following areas:
a. What needs to be changed to implement the strategy? and Why?
b. How will the changes proposed be managed and implemented?
6. Explain how the organization can measure the strategic initiative you proposed. Focus specifically on:
a. A set of key success measures for the strategic initiative, using Balanced Scorecard.
b. Draw a strategy map that indicates the key success measures and their hierarchical
References should be utilised within this Report to validate the information presented, and should be drawn from academic sources and organisational information such as the website and annual reports. The business press may be used sparingly to identify relevant issues.
Learning outcome/s and capability development
This assessment is deliberately designed not only to test what you know, but to also build lifelong learning skills. It has been developed to give you the best possible opportunity to help the organization to survive and thrive into the future. The skills that you will be developing include:
• cognitive conceptualisation skills
• critical thinking and analysis skills
• creative application skills.
All these are valuable skills you will need in future employment. How well you are able to demonstrate these skills and knowledges will impact not only on you and your group (in terms of a mark) but also has the potential to influence the future of the case study organisation. Your work matters.
Advisory notes for this assignment
• You should conduct an extensive information search on the organisation selected.
• Company websites, annual reports, and media reports are important sources of such information, but their objectives, and thus credibility, should be carefully analysed and evaluated.
• You should use appropriate concepts and analytical tools in your report.
• The report should be written in prose; however limited use of dot points is acceptable.
• This advice should be read in conjunction with RMIT assessment policy and the course guide.
Guide for assignment presentation
Written assignments must be presented in a professional format. Quality of presentation, especially literacy,
will be considered in the marking criteria. Written communication skills are an essential component of RMIT University’s courses. In line with RMIT policy, all sources of information must be fully referenced using standard Harvard or APA referencing systems. You are encouraged to use referencing software such as Endnote for referencing and formatting. The assignment should be in report format and use Times New Roman font size 12, 1.5 line spacing.
You are required to submit your assignment online. It should be attached with a coversheet, which can be downloaded from the Course Canvas and signed. Please submit it via the course Canvas and note:
• Use only ONE student log-in account for your group to submit the group assignment into the final submission link. Please note that Turnitin is embedded in this link.
• Staff have access Turnitin information
• Further submission instructions will be given in the seminars.