You will be required to follow the following question in the case study..
Question: What are the key risk areas in the Merger and Acquisition in your case?
· You need to prepare a page of report for this topic.
· You need to prepare a Power point presentation of at least 3 slides relating to this topic.
· In the Ppt present a graph/ diagram of the risk area.
· Main points: When preparing your PPT you should put aside your research notes and produce a list or summary of the main points that you would like to make, expressing each in a few words or a short sentence. After you have identified your main points, you should embellish them with supporting information. For example, add clarity to your argument through the use of diagrams, or substantiate your claims with appropriate data. Use the supporting information to add colour and interest to your talk, but avoid detracting from the clarity of your main points by overburdening them with too much detail.
Group Case Studies (20%)
The group case study project in this course is designed as a practical simulation of a real-world
business problem. Instead of testing only your theoretical knowledge, it allows you to develop a
practical, business-orientated solution to a problem over time through social interactions. You will
have ample opportunity to develop many of the Graduate Attributes that you are expected to have
by the completion of your degree.
In particular, you will be required to exercise the following key skills:
– Communication skills – in your written assignments, by giving a group presentation,
and by discussing with your team members.
-Teamwork and leadership skills – while working together in a group.
-Critical thinking and problem solving skills – by developing a practical solution to the
real-world business problem.
– Professional skills – by building relationships and networks, by taking initiative,
planning, organising and self-managing to achieve the individual and group outcomes by the due
You will be expected to work in a team for the case project. The questions below are designed
to answer some of the questions you may have about group work.
What is the rationale for group work?
Your ability to forge relationships, build networks, maintain contacts and work within a team is an
essential part of working in a professional or business environment. The group work component of
the case study project is an important part of you developing your Communication, Teamwork and
leadership and Professional Skills.
How many people must be in the group?
3-4 students for each group. Selected randomly by the system. Please check “Participants” for
your group number/members.
Marks will be awarded according to how well the Presentation PPT (10% in total) meet below
criteria. For example, if visual aids are reasonably well prepared, the group will be awarded with
“Good” but not “Outstanding” marks.
Each student in the group will be marked individually according to their performance during the
case study discussion (10% in total) session in week 11 with their Lecturer.
Late submission penalties:
1-5 working days late: 10% of the maximum marks available for the assessment item will be
Please note that the penalties are applied to the maximum marks available for the assignment, not
the actual mark awarded.
Structure of Presentation:
Is broken into well-sized, logical components that are linked together. This shows the extent to
which the group has prepared for the presentation together. I would suggest to include the following
parts in your presentation PPT:
1. Informative introduction: The introduction is the point at which the presenter explains
the content and purpose of the presentation. This is a vitally important part of your talk as you will
need to gain the audience’s interest and confidence.
2. Main points: When preparing your PPT you should put aside your research notes and
produce a list or summary of the main points that you would like to make, expressing each in a
few words or a short sentence. After you have identified your main points, you should embellish
them with supporting information. For example, add clarity to your argument through the use of
diagrams, or substantiate your claims with appropriate data. Use the supporting information to add
colour and interest to your talk, but avoid detracting from the clarity of your main points by
overburdening them with too much detail.
3. The Conclusion: in this part you can summarise the content and purpose of your case
study, offer an overview of what has been achieved and make a lasting impact.
– Are effective. I would suggest you to include pictures/digram/few key words (less than 30 per
slide) in your PPT.
You will be required to discuss the following questions in your case study :
1. What drives the need for the company in your case to consider mergers and
2. Is that a good time to be engaged in an M&A transaction in your case, and why?
3. What are the key risk areas in the M&A transaction for your case?
4. Do you think the M&A transaction in your case is (will be) successful, and why?
Group Case Number
A 1 The Walt Disney Studios’ acquisition of Pixar
B 2 Google acquired YouTube
C 3 Google acquired Android
D 4 Wesfarmers acquisition of Coles
E 5 Facebook acquires Instagram
F 6 Tesla acquired SolarCity
G 7 Tencent acquires riot games
H 8 Alibaba acquires ele.me
I 9 LVMH acquires Tiffany
J 10 Amazon acquires whole foods
K 11 Apple acquired Beats Electronics
L 12 Exxon merged with Mobile
M 13 America Online merged with Time Warner
N 14 H. J. Heinz merged with Kraft Food
O 15 Wesfarmers acquires Bunnings