Unit 1 Short Stories Summative.
Answering short story questions in 1 paragraph each per question ( super simple like 3-5 sentences. ALL SHORT STORIES CAN BE FOUND ON INTERNET
story #1 questions: Transients in Arcadia
1. Research the words “Transients” and “Arcadia” and then discuss the appropriateness of the short story’s title. (Write your answer below.)
2. What was your reaction (what you were thinking and feeling) to the opening paragraphs of the story and the emphasis on description of the setting? What do you think O. Henry was trying to accomplish? (Write your answer below.)
3. How does O. Henry establish Madame Beaumont as a member of high society and therefore an acceptable guest in the Hotel Lotus? To what degree does he use the same techniques with Harold Farrington? Leaving the question of wealth aside, are the two characters portrayed as suitable guests? Explain. (Write your answer below.)
4. Were you surprised by the confessions from Madame Beaumont and Mr. Farrington? Why or why not? (Write your answer below.)
5. O.Henry’s writing often includes coincidences and irony. How does he use these devices in this story? Be sure to use specific references to the text. (Write your answer below.)
story #2: questions: A Pair of Silk Stockings
1. a. i)What details is the reader given about Mrs. Sommers’ life before her shopping trip?
a. ii) Explain how these details are important to the story’s meaning. (Example topic sentence: A number of details are given about Mrs. Sommers’ life before her shopping trip that are important to the story’s meaning.)
b. Mrs. Sommers “did not wish to act hastily, to do anything she might afterward regret.” Find the point in the story where she abandons her careful planning. Based on what you know about Mrs. Sommers’ character, and about people in general, do you find this shift convincing? Why or why not?
c. Reread the final paragraph of the story. What is the impact of closing the story in this manner?
d. This story was published in 1894. In your view, does it have any relevance for today’s readers? Explain.
e. Write a character analysis of Mrs. Sommers. Focus on three main traits that she demonstrates in the story, but make sure that you include two traits that are contradictory based on how Mrs. Sommers changes in the story.
[Include specific references to details that illustrate the *dynamic nature of her character. Do you think these changes are temporary or permanent? (*A dynamic character is one who undergoes a significant and permanent change in personality or beliefs.)]
story #3: questions: The Spaces Between Stars
1. Explain how the first paragraph symbolically captures one of the main themes of the story.
2. Why does Maya both envy and resent Evan?
3. Throughout her life, Maya has relied on others to give her a sense of direction. Do you think this is still true at the end of the story? Explain.
4. Discuss whether you were able to connect with the story, and whether that, in turn, affected your enjoyment of it.
5. Critical Thinking In “The Spaces Between Stars,” author Geeta Kothari explores some issues related to the mingling of different cultures. What are the main problems and challenges in Maya and Evan’s marriage, and what solutions appear at the end of the story?
story #4: questions: Two Words
Answer using full paragraphs.
1. Why do you think Belisa decides to help the Colonel, despite his murderous reputation? (Include at least three reasons.)
2. “Two Words” contains many elements of Magical realism. Magical realism is a style of fiction that paints a realistic view of the modern world while also adding magical, unreal or fantastic elements. Identify at least three examples of magical realism in “Two Words”.
3. Identify one example of each of the following literary devices:
Then, explain what the device adds to the story or how it helps the reader in some way
4. Creative Writing: From the Colonel’s point of view, write a journal entry that explains how Belisa has transformed him. Include the two words she has revealed to him, and the impact they have.